Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Machine Head's Robb Flynn Interviewed By Ultimate-Guitar.com

Machine Head frontman Robb Flynn was interviewed by Ultimate-Guitar.com recently, in a lengthy, in-depth conversation about his guitar style, the process that led to their upcoming seventh studio album, Unto the Locust, and much, much more.

Says Flynn about the writing process, "We started writing in November of 2009. I don’t know if it was a reaction against The Blackening and 10-minute songs and complex structure or that we had been watching Metallica every night with people losing their minds, but we brought in a bunch of riffs and wrote for about two weeks. To be honest with you, it was a total bum-out. We went back on tour for another six months and then took a break...I finally got a song going, and I called up Phil [Demmel, guitar] and Adam [Duce, bass]. They were like, 'I’m not ready to practice. I need more time off.' Dave [McClain, drums] was already there and said, 'I’ve got to get jamming with you!' The first song on the record that came out of it was a song called 'This is the End.' It’s probably hands-down the hardest guitar, drumming, and musicality. It’s a great song. It’s got good strong structures, good hooks, and great key changes – but it was like a million miles an hour...When Dave and I were done it was like, 'This is so fucking hard! But it’s so awesome!'"

Flynn also talks about having his home robbed, saying, "They got the one Dimebag gave me. They got the guitar that I wrote and recorded my first album, Burn My Eyes, with. I had an Epiphone coming out and they got my prototype. I bought my son a little Epiphone Flying V. They took that. They took my son’s fucking guitar. There’s been focus on the guitars, but they actually got up to $30,000 worth of stuff – videos, laptops, computers, cash, my wife’s jewelry, her grandma’s jewelry. It was pretty fucked. The hardest part was when we discovered it, it was me and my two sons. They were six and three and a half at the time. It was really traumatic for them. Every night before they went to bed it was like, 'Dad, are the robbers going to come in and kill me?' I was like, 'No, I’m not going to let that happen.' To them it’s like Scooby Doo and they’re going to come through the window. They can’t process it like we can process it. That finally went away, but for those few months it was fucking hard. Times are tough and people are desperate and doing fucking crazy shit. I get it. I’m a target. We were cased, and I was followed. I know it was a crew that did it. That’s a tough thing to deal with and it shakes your faith in humanity. It’s like, 'What the fuck? You stole my fucking son’s guitar.' It shakes your faith in humanity, but I tell you that within two or three days my friends and other musicians loaned me computers and gave me guitars to play on so I had something to write on. A bunch of our fans got something going and bought both of my sons guitars. On one hand it shakes your faith in humanity, and in the same breath you see all these people do these fucking amazing things."

The whole interview is worth reading. Check it out here.

Machine Head's Unto the Locust will be in stores September 27, but you can pre-order a deluxe package that includes the CD/DVD version of the album (which gets you three bonus tracks and a documentary about the making of the record) and a T-shirt at this link.

Source: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/story.aspx?newsitemID=23294

Junkyard Stevie Ray Vaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment